CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

Some of my Favorite Things: Favorite Pool in the US

This is my favorite pool. In fact, this pool is one of my all-time favorite places in the entire United States.

This is Coral Gables Venetian Pool. I count some of my happiest memories as a child as coming from spending time with my mom and my grandmother at Venetian Pool.

There is quite a lot of history to this beautiful place. For my family there are at least 3 generations worth of history at this pool. My grandmother took my mother and her siblings as children to swim. And, if I could dig through family photos and find them, there are pictures showing that I was brought her as a little girl to swim, too.

I always loved coming here. It was so refreshing, and, in some instances, downright cold to swim in the clear spring-fed waters. I loved to swim with my grandma into the 'grotto' and under the water into the caves that were formed from the native coral rock that is everywhere in Miami.

Thinking of Venetian Pool, I can't help but remember stories of my mother and her siblings playing in the water here. One story in particular always springs to mind: When my Aunt J. was about 3 years old she managed to climb to the top of the rock cliff all by herself, and jumped off. Yep, they said even though J. couldn't swim a stroke, she took a flying leap off of the 25' high cliff and landed in the water. Luckily people jumped in right away and pulled her out of the water before she drowned. Nobody could believe she did it, and they were never able to figure out just why she decided to jump off. All of this took place in the mid 1940's.

I am so glad to see that this pool is on the national registry of historical places. It gives me peace of mind that such a treasure in the 'Gables will be preserved for many generations to come. I look forward to someday being able to take my own children to swim at Venetian Pool, to continue the legacy that was left to me by my mother and my grandmother.

This post is dedicated to you, Grammy and Nana. I miss and love you both. Thank you for giving me such good memories and for all the good times playing at the pool (and the beach!). I will never forget.

1 comment:

Alida said...

It is such a beautiful place. I'm not a big fan of Florida. There are some beautiful places there and this is definitely one of them.