CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Helpful hints for cleaning hot tubs

Every few months it becomes necessary to clean the hot tub. Somehow, despite all the nasty chemicals, an ozonater, and mineral wand, micro-organisms manage to survive, multiply, and make the tub unsanitary.

Hence, the need to clean it out.

Here are some practical tips anyone can employ to make this boring (but necessary) chore easier:

Tip #1:

Get someone else to clean the spa. Plead, wheedle, whine, bribe, blackmail--all techniques work, it just depends on your personal preferences. Once someone else is doing the job, you can sit back, relax, enjoy that 5th cup of coffee and read/blog/watch paint peel.

Tip #2:

If tip #1 doesn't work, or isn't employable at this time this time-saving tip, courtesy of a suggestion from my friend B., works like a charm. Once you've got your hot tub mostly drained--as in as far down as the drain will let you, and you're down to the extra fun part of the task where you 'bail' water out, get out your shop-vac.

Yes, your shop-vac* Simply turn on the suction, plop the hose into the tub, and watch the machine do the bailing for you.

This so-simple-its-stupid tip (notice, however, that I wasn't smart enough to come up with it all on my own...) saves you 30+ minutes of labor intensive (OK, well, long and boring, but easy) work.

I am so in love with my new strategy for cleaning the hot tub, it makes the chore so much less tedious, and speeds up the process a lot.

Try it out. Let me know how well it works for you!



*make sure your shop-vac is a wet/dry model, and that you have removed the 'dry' feature filter.

5 comments:

momaof4 said...

The things they don't tell you before you buy!!

not fun.

Anonymous said...

I will totally use your tips....when we have a hot tub.

The shop vac is an amazing machine. We just used ours to clean up a nasty dishwasher leak. It was a miracle machine.

Glory Laine said...

Love the * at the end. We wifes have learned to be extremly specfic.

Alida said...

I loved this tip. I don't have a hot tub...yet (like Mrs Ranch) but ever the optimist, I know exactly where I will put mine when we buy one!

(mental note:make sure hot tub comes with wet/dry vac)

TitansFan said...

Very informative post! I've been looking for ways to speed up this process. The shop vac idea should save me tons of time. Today/Mondays are my scheduled clean my new Hot Tub day anyway. Thanks and please keep up the great posts!