CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 25, 2007

B.J.'s Big B-Day

Today it's all about my hubby: I'm going to tell you about how we celebrated B.J.'s 35th.

It all started about a month ago. I was sitting at the table eating lunch with the kids on a Saturday when I heard that Billy Joel would be coming to town for one night only. Immediately, I thought to myself, that's it! That would be the perfect Birthday gift for B.J. He's tough to shop for (what man isn't?), and I'm perennially broke, but this would be such a surprise.

The only problem (besides money, of course): it was an evening concert, and I have two small kids. What to do, what to do?

What I did: I got on the line with my friend B., and asked her if she and her family would be home on Thanksgiving weekend and would they be willing to host my monkeys over-night so that I could surprise B.J. As luck would have it, they would be home and, generous as she is, my friend said "bring 'em on over." THANK YOU B.!

So, all that left me with was purchasing the tickets.

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it: I love the Internet. It allows me to shop from the convenience of my own home and maintain my sanity. Without online shopping I'd have to publicly lose the few marbles remaining in my head while trying to wrestle 2 naughty Little monkeys at the Ticket-master counter. Thanks to high-speed internet, and two tries and a credit card number later, I had 2 tickets for the show, including parking, purchased and en route via USPS within the next 14 days.

The tough part came when I realized I'd have to keep my big mouth shut for nearly a month in order to surprise B.J.. I'm as bad as a kid, when there's something really good, I can hardly wait to give it. The concert was no exception. To get the most 'bang' out of it, I had this huge plan orchestrated (with my friend B. in on it) where I'd tell B.J. that I've planned a night at the movies, and B. agreed to watch the kids, and instead of going to the theatre, I keep driving all the way to the Concert Hall and SURPRISE! we're not going to see the Sponge Bob Movie (or insert whatever horrible film is out currently in place of S.B.), but we're here to see Billy Joel!

It was a nice fantasy while it lasted.

Since B.J. loves Billy Joel, and, you're never gonna believe this, listens to the radio and heard about the concert (what a knee slapper!), he kept bringing up that he wanted to go. I'm thinking to myself 'oh no, what if he gets online and buys the tickets?'. I had to do something to prevent disaster: 4 tickets for twice the price!

So, whenever I would leave the house I'd admonish him: "DON'T buy ANY-THING online. Promise me you WILL. NOT. BUY. ANY-THING." He'd always say "yeah, yeah I'm just looking." Poor guy, must have thought I was the biggest shrew...Anyhow, B.J. will. not. shut. up. about the concert, so I finally gave up and handed him the invoice for the concert tickets and said that the kids and I were going to surprise him, but here's his gift early.

He was speechless. And, had a grin that split his face from ear to ear. Needless to say, he was very happy. I then explained why I didn't want him to buy anything online. And, this is classic, his response was: "I thought you were talking about me buying car or motorcycle parts. I'd have never thought to look for concert tickets."

DOH! Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men, right?

So, we headed up to the concert last night. En route we stopped at Bridgeport Village and had a nice dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen. It was a bit more expensive than the average Red Robin dinner, but well worth it--especially since we were sans children. A short drive later and we were parking for the concert.

Let me just say Billy Joel is phenomenal in concert. I was highly impressed, as was B.J. Our experience is that many recording artists sound great on their albums (after what they've done has been mixed and mastered to perfection) and when you hear them live we're often left, puzzling our puzzlers, "who was that?". They don't sound at all very good. Joel, on the other hand, if it were possible, sounded better live than recorded. A real A++ performance. He played many 'B-side' songs and other 'obscurities' (to use his word), and threw in a few 'greatest hits' for good measure. He finally ended the concert with and third encore: "Piano Man".

Overall, a great performance. B.J. was pleased, and I was thrilled because we had so much fun, and I really hit a home-run this year with his birthday present.

Too bad I was such a boring date on the way home: 2 blocks from the venue, and I was conked-out and snoring in the car. And to think, we used to stay out until 2, 3, 4 in the morning before calling it a night. My, things have changed...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm SO jealous you got to see Billy Joel. Oh man! I bet it was a great concert! Very cool of you to get that for your hubby's birthday present.

Glory Laine said...

I just love it when the perfect gift all comes together. Working on my own right now for Christmas.....He He He can't wait.