CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

Well, here we are. Another Memorial Day weekend.


I recently stopped to research what Memorial Day is all about. I knew it is to celebrate our fallen war heroes and those who died in service to our beautiful nation. However, I didn't really know any more about it than that. I wasn't satisfied so I decided to find out more. I guess that is the curse of being a certifiable nerd (I've even got the glasses to show for it, too!).


As I read and talked with people around me I became a bit peeved. Nobody else seemed to know or care what the holiday was all about, and as a result I've been working with my students this week on the meaning of Memorial Day. We've been doing a great 'Internet treasure hunt' and learning a lot. I think most adults could benefit from learning a bit about our country and why we celebrate what we do.




We should respect the freedoms that we have and the luxuries that we take for granted every day. By nothing but sheer Grace have most of us been so blessed to live where we do.




It isn't popular to show patriotism.
It isn't 'PC' to have love of your nation and to put it above all others. Most of those people who impose the 'PC' norms we live with have never lived in another country, much less even visited another country, or even less than that: a third world country.
I have. Been there done that; to all three.
We are so truly blessed to be where we are. If I weren't so blessed to have been born a female in this country, but rather a female in, for example, Afghanistan, I wouldn't have the liberty to decide whether I went outside of my house or not. Forget blogging, shopping on the Internet, driving a car. Forget being educated. Forget anything but what my government or the male head of household said or believed. I would have no choice but theirs.


We are so lucky.
So, this weekend, after you're done griping about the exorbitant cost of gasoline, and you sit down to enjoy a good ol' fashioned All-American Bar-b-q--with hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, and a cold beer, think on all the freedoms you enjoy to celebrate such a weekend. Even if you don't support the war (I certainly do NOT) be grateful to the men and women who are not home to celebrate with their freedom, those individuals who have given their lives to serve our country, and those who are far from friends and loved ones. Buy a poppy from the guy standing outside of Bi-mart, support the American Veterans. If it weren't for those who have served for you and I, there would be things far more sinister in our lives to complain about than $3.50 per gallon of gasoline.
Do you know what Memorial Day is all about? Do you care?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Trezure for the informative post on Memorial Day!

Kamryn asked me today what Memorial Day was all about and I told her it's to commemorate the men and women who have died fighting for our country. Is that even right?

I agree with you...I firmly believe we should be thankful for all that we take for granted. The fact that I can sit here in my home and post a comment on your blog, that IS a luxury!

momaof4 said...

Thanks for the reminder friend, and those parents of your students should be so blessed to have you as a teacher!! Keep teaching Girl!!